Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fleshing Out a Family Tree Story

Back in 2004, it seems more recent than that, Gail & I left the Golden State to do some family history sleuthing AND to visit with relatives -- we did accomplish both. Fortunately, both of us had relatives in a couple of the same states i.e. Iowa & Wisconsin.

After visiting my daughter who was at that time living in Columbia, Missouri we hightailed it to Iowa and poked around and located some of Gail's ancestors -- and we are pretty sure that we are the only ones in the family to have seen the final resting spots for some of her immigrant ancestors.

Leaving there we drove right into Wisconsin and made our way to a little town named Warrens. Specifically we drove to Warren Mills Cemetery:


This was the sign marking the cemetery and it says (above the name) established 1890 -- it looks pretty good. I of course was interested in locating the HILES that were buried here -- I wanted to be sure that I located them before seeing my Nephew, Jeremy Hiles, who lived in a not-so-far-away town of Viroqua with his wife and two children.

Warrens is a small town of about 350 people and had a nice feel to it, like I belonged there in a way. It was probably my imagination as I had had the same feeling when I visited Germany . . .





The red dot marks the location of Warrens in Monroe County. Not too far South of there was Viroqua.
I excitedly got out of the car to see if I could find HILES  among the 1000+ buried there -- and it was not long before I did.  That has not always been the case in cemeteries -- sometimes it takes for ever to find the graves that you are looking for even when you have a map.

I took a lot of pictures of the HILES graves that I found and unfortunately I did not think to look for graves of other relatives -- I have since learned how that is a big mistake.


The above shows the roadway into the cemetery and some of the pertinent details of it's location. From this perspective it looks a bit more bleak than the other view.

I came with the expectation that I would find my Great Great Grandfather Daniel Hiles, my Great Grandfather John Hiles and their families buried in Warren Mills Cemetery. Below, on the far right side of the chart are the HILES that I found there:


I found five people named HILES buried there -- of course I was excited to make this discovery, because growing up our family had made many many trips to Wisconsin -- looking for a family farm that was my Father's dream -- and never, not once did we visit this or any other cemetery where a known HILES relative was buried. So, it was a great deal like the cemetery in Iowa where we stood before the graves of Gail's Bouldron relatives knowing that probably few relatives had ever come to visit the site.

The HILES folks that I found were Daniel & Mary Jane (Humphrey) Hiles,  John Hiles (my Gr Granfather) but not his wife (Emily Adeline Gillett) but a daughter (a sister of my Grandfather Lloyd's) named Bessie G Hiles who died suddenly at age 17. And one other HILES, an Adeline Hiles who I did not know how we were related that died at about age 8 -- I later made the connection.

My point here is that the five HILES that I found were only a fraction of the probable relatives buried in the Warren Mills Cemetery. There were about 40 some additional probable relatives -- check out the list above.

My real point of the above is to tell a story that I recently realized was in our tree -- to me an amazing story.
If you look at the above list you'll notice a lot of Allens in the list -- not everyone is aware that we HILES' have a lot of Allens in the tree that we are related to:


The above is a chart generated on my website. On the far right is a picture of John S Allen. John at the age of 65 or so, married my Great Grand Aunt Sophia J Gillett. Sophia is the sister of Emily Adeline Gillett, my Great Grandmother (married to John Hiles).

The very interesting fact is that Sophia was 18 when she married John S Allen. They proceeded to have nine children -- three of whom were born after John was 80, 84 & 87. All I can say is -- Wow!


The above shows the children of John and Sophia -- five girls and four boys. I don't know John's history but he was most likely married before Sophia. Some of those children lived into the mid 1900s -- 1950s and 1960s -- so here is a man who was born in the 1700s and has children who lived well into the 1900s, I find that fascinating.



The above shows some of the known Allen Cousins -- and most of us in the tree are related to them. If you meet someone named ALLEN check out their backgrounds.

Here is an example of one of John & Sophia's kids:


Jasper was their 7th child, born when John was 80 -- he lived into the 1960s as did his wife, Lucretia.

To me that is an amazing story hidden in our tree. Most of John's children with Sophia were born when he was older than I am right now . . . Jasper is a cousin two times removed (two generations away) as you can see in the chart.

And Now -- the Status of Dino

No news is good news according to the GDB, we have not heard anything about Dino since he went in one week ago . . . I see that one of his siblings is in phase 7 -- I think there are 8 phases . . .

And Status of the Remodel

Same as before as we have not seen hide nor hair of anyone in the past week -- but we're told that they are hard at work on the cabinets and other pieces . . . so next week maybe some action that we can see and hear.

So, What is on Our Nightstand for Reading

A few posts ago I wrote about my experience with Guillian-Barre, the French Polio as some refer to it as (which I am still trying to get over) and how it related to my having had Polio as a child. Our Cousin Melissa wrote to me, surprised that I had had Polio, to tell me about a friend on their street in Downy, California that had also had Polio as a child -- AND that he had written a book about his life:


I am about half way through reading this and I am finding it very interesting. He of course had a more severe form of Polio than I did as he spent some time in an Iron Lung and later with respirators and a tracheostomy 
for breathing.

I could though share some of his experiences e.g. the curling up into a fetal position to get a "spinal tap" now called a "lumbar probe" which I recently had and was no where near as bad as in 1949. One other observation was that when I was in the hospital I thought everyone in a white gown was a doctor or nurse, that wasn't the case as all visitors had to wear them for protection, Richard had the same observation. 

I am planning on contacting Richard when I finish the book to share other stories. 

This was the dreaded sign seen on our door and the doors of many of my neighborhood friends:


Fortunately, I do not think those are in use in the U.S. anymore -- they may though be in some other parts of the world -- but not if Bill Gates has anything to do with it . . .

Lastly

This does not have anything to do with our family tree per se, but some of the naming may have been part of the popular selections:


The picture is great because how do you get nine little kids to pose and how in those days did you manage to get a clear shot. The names are still indicative of the ones that we remember having "fun" with in school when we found out somebody's real name or middle name was one of the above . . .

Tonight being "Saturday" night usually meant Sliders or Burgers, but during the remodel -- that isn't going to happen. So the two Hiles brothers here in town -- both having an auto-immune disease -- are letting Gail drive us to a favorite Japanese restaurant nearby. He's batching it as Nancy is in Portland and since neither of us can drive right now, Gail is coming straight from work to take us "shut-ins" out . . .

Have a good week -- see you all in a few!




















No comments: