Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

PRUNING,PAINT,PUP,POPE & PROJECT

It has been a week of climbing out on the weakest part of the tree branches. I have found myself looking at some of the details of 3rd, 4th & 5th cousins, not-to-mention relatives of 2nd and 3rd Great Grand Uncles and Aunts -- who does this kind of stuff . . . those of us who can squeeze out the time and sometimes fight off slumber. I get started looking at one branch and quickly find myself in to other branches. Part of this is because our ancestors kind of did the same thing in-a-way -- they married into branches and some families had multiple siblings marrying into the same families:


Way out to the left in the bottom-most branches I'm finding facts and folks related to us in this tree. Sometimes I get caught up in the most bizarre stories and quickly I lose track of the relationships. I then have to regroup and look at my Family Tree Maker Tree or my tree on my website:  Dan's Website 

So, I know my days are numbered for doing this kind of research (about 30, in fact). After that it will be catch as catch can in terms of just hanging out in among the branches . . . Guillian-Barre may help in that I do get tired easily and resting while pruning the trees may be just the ticket.

Speaking of Resting

I have to say that in the 9 or 10 days that Dino has been home he really knows how to rest. He has been very good about not "going after" his surgical area and so we only have to put the "lamp-shade" on him at night when we are not so aware of any possible infraction. It is hard to believe but he has never even "objected" to sleeping at night with the large device around his head.

During the day he tends to sleep in between the times that he and I go out on the deck to take a break which allows him to "do his business". Then after a drink of water he finds one of the three beds and he is off in to a deep sleep -- but not so deep that if I make any move to get up, he is right there.


He is healing nicely and I attribute that partly to the fact that he has been quiet all week. The most animated he gets is when Gail gets home from work and he hears the car door and the sounds on the stairs . . .

A Tie to a Post of About One Two Years Ago

This is still the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War and we had a lot of folks from our tree who were involved in that war -- and I'm finding out more details every day. Almost exactly two years ago I wrote about two of those ancestors -- both sons of John Hiles, Jr., who both died during the war and because of conditions in the war -- John Hiles III and George W. Hiles. (Do a search above for George W Hiles)

This week while out on those branches I found out that George's Father-in-law was also in the Civil War AND in the same outfit that George was in . . . Company "I" of the 114th Ohio Volunteers. George married Martha Angeline Lacey just as the war started in 1861. By the time he joined the Army in 1862, they already  had had two or three infants that died and they were childless as George served. Unfortunately they did not have any more opportunities for children.

George's Father-in-law was Benjamin Lacey. He was thirty some years older than George when he joined the Army. He though did survive the war.He died in 1904 and it turns out was buried in an unmarked grave in New Lexington, Ohio.  I know the frustration looking for the graves of ancestors and relatives only to have the cemetery inform me that "there is no grave marker . . ."


While going through a variety of databases I found the above -- something which I had never noticed before.
I found this -- of course on Ancestry.com. And I am not sure who Harriet Cassidy is -- but most likely she is a  relative -- one that I hope that I can figure out how she is related . . .

Looking at the above, you can see the process . . . a stone was ordered about May of 1932 and it looks like it was finally shipped in October of 1932:


So, Benjamin F Lacey was in an unmarked spot from 1904 til late 1932 AND from that time on has a nice marker. Next to it (if you click to enlarge) you can also see the marker designating him a member of the GAR -- something my maternal Grandfather, Dayton Bumgardner used to talk about frequently.

By-the-way, Benjamin F Lacey provided two daughters to the HILES ancestors, Martha to George Hiles and then later Caroline to Andrew Jackson Hiles.


The Headlines of this Week

Whether Catholic of not it was impossible to watch a newscast without seeing the latest from Rome. At first I just wanted to speed past the stories but then I we got caught up in the intrigue and about the process itself and wondered just how the voting took place . . .


We of course are unlikely to ever find out how ballots are cast and how Cardinals jockey for the position.
But I happened to be checking the news on the web when a few minutes earlier the "white smoke" appeared. Earlier I had seen the "black-smoke" and had expected to see a lot more of that.

It was kind of exciting to hear them say that a "Pope" had been elected, but his name was not released yet, then a bit later the world was informed. It is a strange process -- it would be nice to see the changes that need to be made, made . . . we'll see. I find it nice that a man "older than me" is somewhat considered to be a "younger" man and full of energy and drive to live up to the demands of his new calling . . . I am finding it increasingly harder to find the energy to get to out-patient physical therapy . . .

The State of our Current Project

The worker bees in our kitchen have been here most of the week. And while that is satisfying it also can be distracting as well. This week, two days were set aside to "do the floor". Most of the floor will remain as it was but "renewed". Some wood was put around the areas of new construction and then to make the rest of the floor blend in all furniture in the family room was removed to the garage and sanding and refinishing took place.
The noise was distracting as was the smell. But peering into the rooms -- it really looks great. After the floor dried, more detail work on the cabinets and counters took place -- soon we'll have more of a pictorial.
But what the empty room did was -- for one of us -- was to call attention to what may be the next project on our list:


The floor sure does look great -- we will keep Dino out until the rugs are back in and around. But contemplating the bareness of the room makes the fireplace stand out like the "thumb" that it is. I have a feeling it won't be long for the world . . .

And so went part of our week -- tonight we are being treated again to dinner -- courtesy of a close relative who happens to be a very good cook . . . see you all in a few.



















No comments: