Search This Blog

Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Healdsburg Sun-Times

Growing up one of the papers that I delivered was the Chicago Sun-Times. It was tabloid shaped and I delivered it along with the Chicago Tribune and the Wall Street Journal in my neighborhood in Hinsdale, Illinois.


Now, I'm just delivering the good and obvious news (to those of us here in Northern California) that this weekend we are having mid-seventies weather.

While we are still in a drought we might as well enjoy our sunshiny days. It is indeed just like the song says -- "lookin' all around, there is nothing but blue skies . . ." and so it goes.

But as the nursery rhyme might say: Rain, rain has gone away, but please please come again, Dino, Gail and me, want to play . . .

Maybe a "Do-Over" is Warranted


For some reason this rings true a little bit. As I look back over the research that I have done there may have been some times that the charts
needed tweaking.

There is a huge on-going effort right now about doing a "Genealogy Do-Over" and I am intrigued with the idea.

I have joined the "Do-Over" group on Facebook and am considering my options.

There are plusses and minuses for all of this to happen -- we'll see how this all plays out.

For now, I will continue some research as usual.



Follow-Up Serendipity


You just never know what you'll find when you go into the old newspapers. I was exploring in GenealogyBank.com when I found this "rest of the story" involving a cousin of mine (ours), Malcolm Hiles from LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

If you do a search -- using the search bar at the top of this post for Malcolm, you'll see the post I wrote about in March of 2013. Malcolm unfortunately was murdered in January of 1931 when he was just 50 years old.

We knew who the killer was, but just not what happened to him -- until now:


If I had seen this front-page story when it came out -- I would probably have never thought that it had anything to do with our family. But I would have been wrong.

This is the article that explains what happened to the killer of Malcolm Hiles in 1931:


What is interesting is that the killer abandoned his own car shortly after the killing in Wisconsin and somehow ended up in Illinois about 170 miles away. You can read the newspaper article about the events that close out that part of the story.

I have not seen this story published in a Wisconsin paper (maybe it was and I just missed it) but it definitely was published in the Rockford Morning Star.

Malcolm Hiles' life was cut short due to some very unfortunate circumstances.  There are several descendants of Malcolm & Emma, his children and grandchildren that probably have a lot "to say" about the events of January 1931.

To the left is a picture of Malcolm & Emma,  probably not too long before the murder. Emma lived until 1954 -- I think not ever remarrying.

It would be nice to link up with some of the cousins from that family.

I am going to see if I can locate any of the living cousins and if anyone knows them please share that information.

I will publish my findings about this family as I find out the facts.


Things To Look Forward To:



As usual, I HAVE started my Christmas shopping as I go throughout the year.

Whenever I see a "good" deal on Amazon or another online site, especially if it offers free shipping, I make a purchase.

The shelf in my office closet gets filled by the end of the season and sometimes -- no usually -- I forget a lot of what I have purchased . . .


And of course, in the back of my mind is the upcoming
Super Bowl game next Sunday.

How will the media keep from talking about the subject of the day -- pictured to the right . . .

The 49th Super Bowl is scheduled to be played in the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

The current cost for some tickets -- $4,000 to $14,000

The current cost to watch on TV -- $0

We are planning a "special dip" as a snack during the game.
I remember last year we had a huge bowl of guacamole and chips that we managed to polish off.

This year I saw a "Philadelphia Cheesesteak Dip" featured on www.noblepig.com that we plan to have in addition to
the guacamole and chips . . .

Things are lookin' up!

That is a bit of our week. Tonight being Saturday, it looks like burgers & fries! See you all, in a few!















No comments: