Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2015

A New Look

I'll probably be late next week as well . . . for a variety of reasons this post is being written later than usual. I think I'll attempt to shake things up and write and post more often with shorter posts.


This is what spring looked like to us on Saturday . . . a very pleasant day. And the pleasantness of the day inspired thoughts of dinner and then "Don't Cook Tonight, Call Chicken Delight" . . .

Growing up in Illinois in the 1950s -- we could call "Chicken Delight" but not here, today. So we did the next best thing -- we drove several miles to the closest KFC and got a bucket along with some cole slaw.

We then watched the San Francisco Giants game against the San Diego Padres. The game was a rout. The Padres won 10-2. It's early . . . but the chicken was sooo tasty!

Some Research this Week

Earlier this week I was fully engaged in researching in the Gillett branch. I started because I wanted to see if I could find a picture of Emily Adeline Gillett -- my Great Grandmother married to John Hiles. But I did not find a picture of either -- but I am sure some exist somewhere.

But, as usual, my original search turned into one of endless connections and the discovery of surnames that I had no-idea were in my tree.

Names e.g. "Pratt", "Phelps", "Clink", "Boyce",
"Sparks", "Call", "Smith", "Boardway" and many others.

These additional surnames come about due to marriages and there were plenty of those.



Somehow I ended up discovering a new 2nd cousin, Edna I Sleeper.

So "Sleeper" was yet another surname that I had heretofore not known about.

So the week was going well, I was lost inside of research and making no real progress but enjoying every bit of it.

But the real discovery came a few minutes later when I found out the name of the person that Edna married.

The surname that I uncovered caused me to "pause" a bit and reflect on the possibilities.

It would mean taking the research into a totally different direction . . .


So -- Edna married a GRISWOLD, Joseph Gillman Griswold Jr.

I haven't proven it yet -- by Clark W Griswold is the Grandson of Joseph.


So there you have it -- the making of a huge "Griswold Family Reunion" that would include the Hiles branch . . .


WDYTYA

Earlier this week we watched and enjoyed this week's featured person -- Tony Goldwyn.

While we watched Tony traveled to various places in the country -- we at one point felt a connection.

Tony's 3rd Great Grandfather, Nathaniel Coe was appointed the Post Office Official in Oregon by none other than Gail's 2nd Cousin, Millard Fillmore.

The ties that are uncovered in history are fun to see unfold as stories like Tony's are shown.


And that was a bit of our week . . . see you all in a few!

No comments: