Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2016

NAPA and Back . . .

The weekend started in a way different mode for us . . . while we are often up early we haven't been leaving the house early except for yesterday. We left the house shortly after 7:15 am, unheard of lately. It is hard to believe that we could be dressed and ready to go at this time anymore and yet for most of our career days -- we did it all the time.


Let me explain about the above photo we took on our return trip from Napa. We drove to Napa because of a class that we decided to take to certify Dino and ourselves as volunteers for an organization that offers "paws for healing".  I'll explain more of that later.

First, after the class and on the return home, there were rain squalls every few minutes and the sun was trying to break through all along the route. Suddenly we saw the traces of a rainbow and it got more and more brilliant as we seemed to almost drive under the two ends . . .

I pulled over as many on the road did, to take a few snaps and when I got back in the car I checked to see what the photos looked like (isn't digital nice) and much to my dismay, the camera had run out of charge . . . it wasn't until I arrived home and charged it up that I found that I did get some snaps of the best rainbow that I think we have seen.

Thinking about Napa, it always seems sooo far away and yet, as you can see from the map, it is "not that far" -- about 48 miles or so to where we were headed.

At the bottom right, just before Yountville, is where we spotted the rainbow, as marked on the map.

We have two more classes in Napa, so it will be fun to see the changing weather events each trip.

And we plan to pick up burgers -- next trip -- at the world famous "Gott's Roadside Burgers" in St. Helena.


So, more about "Paws for Healing":

The community-based program was started many years ago  after discovering the seemingly magical healing power that dogs have in the period of need for folks in hospitals and other locations like rest homes.

I can attest to how nice that feeling is/was when three years ago this week, I was in a hospital room and Dino was allowed to visit me. Not only did it brighten my day, but the staff loved it as well.

In class,  we were informed that one of the main reasons that folks want to "get out of the hospital" is to revisit their pets -- of course among other obvious reasons.


And so, we felt that it was time for Dino (and us) to get back to work. If all goes well in the class then we can expect to be visiting some local hospitals and rest type homes in the coming months.


And now, what things did we find while searching this week?

Well, I certainly was "all over the map" as it pertained to the family tree, but I did receive a new book this week -- "The Family History Web Directory".

When I ordered it (from where else, Amazon) I had not read the description too clearly, because

my mind stopped at the title . . . but upon receiving the book, I clearly see that most of the websites that are listed are from England and environs.

So, while I don't have "HILES" tied to the United Kingdom, I do know that Gail's family is proven to be from England -- so I found a website listed (above) called Durham Records Online and quickly punched in the surname BOULDRON and up popped 18 Bouldrons that I did not have in her tree.

Since her family did come from the area and I know that for sure, probably most of these folks are direct ancestors of hers. I have my work cut out for me to prove any or all of them . . .


Back home again, it has been raining off and on all week.

Nosing around in the back yard I was intrigued to find the "bud" pictured on the right.

It just seems so early and as you think about the rest of the country -- New York, Washington DC, and so, with all the new snow storms yesterday and today -- it is amazing.


And what else is amazing?

The addition to the tree of another Great Grandchild for James Hiles (our cousin).

Our congratulations to him and his family.

Recall that we just "met" Jim in the previous year through the miracle of the Internet.

Jim is the Grandson of the Reverend Stacey William Hiles that we had featured also in a post last year.

Through the communication of that post, another cousin of ours put us in touch with Jim and his family.

Keep up the good work Jim, and thanks for sharing the news!

And lastly,

What will we be doing the rest of today . . . I wonder:




And so that is a slice of our week -- during the first game, I may also be making a pot of chili. Not just any chili, but a tomatillo, pork chili in a chili sauce of dried Anaheim peppers along with some hominy and other things that I find in the cupboard . . . I'll let you know how that turns out -- Oh and I will probably make some cornbread to go with it as well . . .



No comments: