Search This Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Beautiful Outside -- Today

Today is gorgeous outside, clear, sunny, bright and balmy. But tomorrow is supposed to be another story again. The prediction is three or four days of storms next week. So we are just going to enjoy the moment.

Monday, happens to be Presidents Day, the 20th of February. We celebrate traditionally George Washington's Birthday (22nd) and also Abraham Lincoln's birthday (12th).


Additionally, Presidents Day can be a celebration of any of the people who have been the president of the United States.

It is a nice holiday requiring no gifting or the sending of cards or anything. A chance to pause and think about those presidents.

February 20th happens also to be my mother's birthday or what
would have been her 105th birthday.

She is pictured off to the right in about 1930 when she was about eighteen or nineteen years old.

I believe that at the time of the picture she was in nurses training in Chicago and as yet unmarried.

I will be writing more of her story in coming posts.



Speaking of writing, I finished up the first session of Genealogy Intensive -- The Write Stuff, earlier this week.

I will be starting Genealogy Intensive -- The Write Stuff II,  this week and look forward to that.

There will be a mix of students in The Write Stuff II in that some from the class that I just finished will be attending and then some from earlier classes will be joining as well.

It is a whole new experience for me as I have not taken classes for some time and I have never used social media (Facebook) as much either to attend class and to exchange material.

I already have shared some peeks at my homework from the first session and I plan to do the same from this session.  One thing that I have learned is that I need to make sure that I have all the required facts together before writing. I have discovered in the middle of writing something that I did not have all the information that was needed and I had to go searching for it . . .

Some things coming up to look forward to:

First there is the return of "Who Do You Think You Are?". This is one of my favorite genealogy shows.

This season there will be at least eight celebrities who will have their genealogical facts shared with them and us viewers.

I am always amazed at the things that are disclosed and would love to be on the receiving end of that kind of material.

So, on March 5, 2017 look for this show on channel TLC.


And then:

It hardly seems possible being that it is only mid-February, but MLB spring training has started.

Off to the left are the teams and the locations of their spring training camps.


We try to watch as many of the SF Giant's games throughout the season and we are planning on that this year as well.

We are fortunate in that I believe every Giant's game is televised including their pre-season games.
Already we are hearing of the changes being made to the roster. Some we approve of and some we are disappointed with -- but that is the business of MLB.

And lastly -- the one constant so far in my daily routine -- genealogy:




I have to say that I relate often with the events described in "Pickles" and the cast of Earl, Opal, Nelson and the others. I've been studying "Jeannie" for some time now and no one is the wiser . . .

That's a bit of our week. See you all "in a few"!






No comments: