Search This Blog

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Day Dreaming

For whatever reasons this week, my mind has given in to slipping into daydreaming at various times. My desktop photo I think triggers that and takes me into a totally different world. I've told the story many times in earlier posts about the fact that it was my father's dream to own a farm. And we came "that" close to having a farm.


 The farm as I remember seeing it looked similar to the one pictured above. The house was off to the right and was decent. The corn right now would be about "knee-high" -- just saying . . .

But, then I get back to not day dreaming and back to working and searching the family tree - sort of being a farmer - no corn though, well maybe lots of "corn" . . . who doesn't love corn?

It is again approaching the century mark on the thermometer here today. I have to say that I would really welcome a good rainy day, but that is not in the forecast.

So, what did I spend my time on this week? A lot of it in scanning, I scanned about 300 items, photos, and documents from the family history box from Eleanor Sigg.

I have been inserting some of the photos into the Ancestry.com tree, a few at a time.

I have already heard from some of the related folks in that branch thanking me for adding them.

Granted, none of these folks are my direct relatives, well maybe a few are, but I knew a lot of them for many years.

I only wish that I could have shared the info earlier so that all of them could see their branch better. The same way I wish my own parents could see the folks and facts that have been put into their branches.

As usual, there are a lot of unidentified photos and that is always frustrating. I have been able to i.d. some, but there are many that will probably not be identified.

Never-the-less, it has been fun and interesting.

And now if you are looking for something to do the rest of this weekend AND you love mushrooms then you might be interested in:


The article in "The Forest Republican" details the events for mushroom enthusiasts in HILES, Wisconsin. This weekend, July 21-23, folks are descending on HILES, Wisconsin for mushrooming and a record turnout is expected.

Even though many apparently turned up as early as Wednesday, there is still about a day and a half left in the event. I like mushrooms . . .

Going back to the search and the endless numbers of ancestors and relatives are exemplified in the "Pickles" comic:


I haven't done the math, but assuming that it is correct, Nelson has over a million ancestors in just a few hundred years. Now that is the reason that this hobby just keeps going and going.

And every week it is true with me as I add new folks. Those new folks have folks and so on and so on. At some point, we draw the line at where we stop adding people, but that is difficult to do.

Every once in a while I hit a "jackpot" so to speak and it is so fascinating to learn about more branches of the tree that I never knew existed. Just this week as I was entering a person into the tree I saw that she was married -- married to a George Patton and this George Patton was stationed at a military fort in the 1940 Census.

I got excited with the prospect that she was married to THE George Patton, but the middle initials were different and so it was just a plain George Patton -- maybe the next person will be the one that has some amazing connection . . .

Lastly, this week we learned that my son, Chris, is out of the ICU from having brain surgery.

Information is sketchy, but hopefully, he will continue to be on the mend.

Thank you all who called and wrote about him and sent best wishes.

It is hard to be so far away and not be in the know as much as we'd like to be. As of two days ago, he was still in Swedish Hospital, Cherry Hill Loc., Seattle, RM536.

That is a bit of our week. See you all "in a few"!


No comments: