Search This Blog

Saturday, July 1, 2017

JULY 4TH Holiday Weekend -- 4 Days . . .

It happens every year, so far. One of the "fun" holidays of the year i.e. no mandatory gift-giving nor card-sending. Just plain old fashioned down-home celebrations.

Preparations started a few weeks ago when I realized that the flag that we fly almost daily was very faded. So I did what I usually do and that is to go online and look for a replacement.



If you look in the center picture, you will notice that there are "two flags" a flying on the house.
The outer pics are of those individual flags. I must say that I did not set out to double the number of flags -- only update the one that we usually displayed.

So, I ordered a new flag and after placing the order realized that I had ordered a larger flag than what we had -- a 4'x6' in place of the 3'x5' . . .

Then I realized that the flagpole that we had would not support the larger flag -- so what to do. I searched around for the suitable pole and ordered that. But when it arrived last week, it was so much larger than the previous pole and the box stated: "professional installation" recommended.

Long story shortened, I was able to install the new pole and raise and display the new flag AND move the previous pole by the front door. At the front door, I displayed the "13 Star" version, which is treated to appear "old and original" from 1776 . . .

Hopefully, we are set for awhile on flags.

Gail received a wonderful orchid (thanks, Silvia) a few days after her birthday last week.                                                                                                                                                                              We're hoping that we can give it the proper care so that it will last for awhile.                                                                                                                                                                                                         The last houseplant recently did not make it and we feel that over-watering may be the culprit.
Gail also received a couple of day-after-her-birthday calls and several Facebook wishes, all very nice!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
We did manage to finish the current puzzle that we were enjoying working on, though this one towards the end was challenging. Again, when it was all finished, one piece was missing. We've done this puzzle before and there were no missing pieces, so go figure . . .                                                                                                             Dino is so patiently waiting for us to finish . . .     whatever we are doing, he waits for us to finish and maybe, just maybe we then will play with him or take him "out" for a bit.                             


Regarding the status of the "search" . . . I go through weeks of struggling to find bits and pieces to attach to anyone in our tree and then this:                                                                                                                                     I recently was given access to a boxful of family history that I have agreed to scan the things that are pertinent and then return the originals.                                                                                                                             So, I have begun going through the pictures, documents, and other memorabilia and scanning some of the items.                                                                                                                                                                       Unfortunately, my scanner stopped scanning for whatever reason but I was able to install a "scan app" that works, just not like the previous way of doing business . . .


One of the pictures that I found in the box was of my brother at one of his graduations along with his in-laws, the Siggs. It just so happens that in 1959, I lived with the Siggs in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.                                                                                                                                                   I did not have a picture of Georges Sigg until now. I did have one of his wife Frances and of course many of my brother, Marv.

I enjoyed living with the Siggs and found both of them to be really great folks. They owned the "Bible Book Center" in Fort Lauderdale (on Andrews Blvd) and I even worked there for a bit. I cleaned and inspected films that came back from rental and did many jobs related to shipping (going to the post office) and receiving (unboxing new shipments). This was good work for a high-school senior . . .
So, now I have this box of "family history stuff" that I am enjoying going through. And even though the families are related to me only through marriage, I find it very interesting and fun to record. I knew these folks and still hear and sometimes see their descendants. You can look on our tree on Ancestry.com and other of my trees for many of the pictures identifying these folks.


 Currently on our nightstand is the book appearing to the right -- "Driving Miss Norma"  received from Lisa & Bob for Gail's birthday.                                                                                                                                                           Interestingly, for me anyway, is that the first movie that Gail and I ever went to together when we were first dating was "Driving Miss Daisy".                                                                                                                                                   The book, however, is about a 90 something-year-old women who has been given a diagnosis of a terminal disease and instead of going into the hospital for treatment, chooses to travel the U.S. with her son and his wife.

So far she is having a great time and doing things that for sure would not be something that she would be doing in the hospital setting.

We are enjoying the book so far and find it refreshing.



And, we have been watching the Giants baseball games every day that they play.

Mostly it has been -- watching them lose big and bigger times.

But yesterday they won their fourth in a row -- I believe the best so far this season.

Interestingly there are so many new players being brought up each week that it is impossible to keep track -- maybe they will get the right combination.


So, that is a bit of our week. Enjoy the Fourth! See you all "in a few"!
    

No comments: