Search This Blog

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Back to (Semi) Normal Things . . .

The weather is back to semi-normal, but way too hot for this time of the year -- in the 90s again. But it is supposed to change little by little throughout the coming week. In a couple of weeks, it may even get back to "meat-loaf" weather. which we love, baked potatoes and the such.

In the meantime, an important day for the youngsters especially falls this Tuesday when the annual day of sweets and dress-up occurs once again along with the lament of the school on Wednesday.


That is Dino in the middle wearing his costume for this year's trick and treaters. Last year we maybe had ten or so . . . it might be different this year and we are prepared.

Things are generally quieting down after the non-stop fire concerns. There are changes happening in the real estate environment as thousands are looking for places to move to -- for now. Rents are way up and climbing plus we have heard of some really outrageous prices on some homes as they re-list the homes to reflect the current market conditions.


Things are back to normal in terms of the grape harvest -- in our backyard anyway. To the right is a picture of our grapes ready for processing . . .

We realize that we are a bit late compared to the vineyards around town that harvested a lot of their crop just prior to the fires. We, on the other hand, have different priorities as to the crop.

The question always is whether or not to increase or decrease production -- that decision will be forthcoming.


The searching this week too was leaning more "back-to-normal" as I was across the board in my efforts to find ever more documenting facts.

The pic pile to the left is representative of the family members that I sought to enhance.

I usually find Ancestry.com hints for someone and then find myself wandering going from one hint to another and before I know it I have touched numerous lives.

And, before I know it -- the week has been filled up again with things that I previously had not known . . .

I hope that I can eventually share all this information in some manner to those that might be interested. For now, much of what
I find I include in the HILES tree in Ancestry.com.


In the last two weeks, I have been privileged to be in possession of two books that have or may have strong ties to our HILES branch:



The book on the left -- "Descendants of Johan Christian Hile" I was able to receive through the magical efforts of our cousin Lora who first of all convinced the author, Mickey Lee Hile, to take the DNA plunge and eventually proved to be a match for us. We owe her a huge debt of gratitude.

The second book, "One 'Heil' of a Family" by Robert A Heil I happened to find while searching for the first book -- and I was able to snag a copy online. I am not sure if our branch links up with that HEIL branch -- but years ago I did match DNA with a HEIL family and have not made the connection as yet -- maybe this book has the answers.

In any event, both books are really good reading for me. I feel closely tied to both and would love to connect all the Hile, Heil and Hiles branches -- it could happen.


What could be more normal than watching the fall classic during
these days -- than the World Series.

While I am a Dodger fan in this series I realize how important it is for Houston to grab a win in the series.

Houston has suffered greatly due to the hurricanes this year and really wants to win.

And at this point, they are -- two games to one. I don't believe that Houston has ever won the World Series so this would be B-I-G.

Actually, I have to root for the team that does play the best and so would deserve the win. The only time I don't agree with that is when "the home team" -- Giants -- is playing.




And, the season is going strong with Finding Your Roots. The featured celebrities have been very interesting and the thoroughness of the findings have been phenomenal.

It is midway through the series and I hate to think that it will end before I know it.

Henry Louis Gates does a super job presenting the people and the findings.


And that is a bit of our normal week (it is day 301 of the year) -- see you all "in a few"!






No comments: