Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2018

♪ Summertime, Summertime . . . ♫

Way too early! It was 86° the other day and the other days this week were similar -- we did finally get the message and we cranked on the a/c . . . the sleeping temps at night were not pleasant. But judging from the Easter-Egg hunts in the snow, we can't really complain -- but we do.


We started with one single poppy out back about a month ago and now we have hundreds. The birds are lovin' the suet cakes -- we'll have to reorder soon (like today). Dino gave the appearance of maybe going in for a dip this morning, but probably not going to happen. He's a looker only when it comes to the pool -- Gail almost went in yesterday but decided on a cool shower instead . . .

Hopefully, the temperatures will moderate before the really hot days of summer arrive. And we hope that once in a while we get some rain as well.

And to get our minds off of the heat we worked on the puzzle du jour and what could be better than a background of DOO -- WOP.

Every once in a while I get an inclination to listen to some of the old favorites from eons ago -- public television periodically has their Doo-Wop specials -- we just listen and enjoy. The heat seemed to dissipate and the time flew. Also, the puzzle nears completion but we have plenty more where that one came from.

The other exciting news this week for us was that MLB held their opening games for every team on Thursday. And for us -- The San Francisco Giants were playing their rivals in Los Angeles -- the Dodgers.

I lived in the LA area for nineteen years and was a Dodgers fan -- and now I have lived in the Bay Area for about the same number of years and have been a Giants fan for about the same number of years. (I also lived in the Chicago area for about twenty years and was a Cubs fan -- actually still am)

So we substituted Doo-Wop on one day for the season opener as it was a four o'clock game as our background to further work on the puzzle -- we lead a complicated life . . .

The interesting and fun thing was to see the Giants win the opener 1-0 which was amazing as the Dodgers used their best pitcher. It was such a low-scoring game between these two teams with a single home run by Joe Panik, which was a great way to start.

The kicker is that the Giants won the next game 1-0 again and again due to a homer by Joe Panik.
Panik set a record having back to back single home runs in the first two games of the season.

So, the season is started and it is good so far for the Giants -- they play LA again tonight -- we'll see how that goes -- and maybe work some more on the puzzle . . .

I've written three or four times in previous posts about Keith Bumgardner one of my mother's favorite cousins. He seemed to start life out at a disadvantage as he lost both of his parents at a young age.

Charles Keith Bumgardner has been gone for some time now but I keep getting updates on his life:


I have heard from one of his granddaughters and she supplied me with the two pictures on the right of the tree -- I had never seen a picture of Keith's first wife, Christine, nor of his first daughter, Eunice June until this week -- thank you, Laura.

The interesting thing to me is that Christine, Eunice, and the grandchildren are cousins and they probably lived around us while growing up -- but of course, we never knew them or even of them.

While working on Keith's branch -- I was able to add of course the two new pictures but also I could confirm a third wife of Keith's -- Dorothy S Miller -- I have to wonder if there were any kids from that marriage.

My mother would have loved to have learned some of the facts of Keith's family that I have gotten over the years -- I'm hoping to learn more about his branch and of course so many others.

I attended another excellent webinar on DNA -- this one on how to make a plan for testing -- which I had been rather cavalier about several years ago when I was first tested.

I basically spit into the tube and awaited results -- and they came.

These days, because I have tested with four companies, I get a lot of results and matches -- more than I can deal with.

But this webinar was so good in that it helped me to see the benefits of getting various folks in our tree tested -- those who are in a vertical relationship to us or those who are in a horizontal position on the charts.

For me, there are no more vertical ways to go as I am now in the top position of those who are living.
But there are plenty of horizontal folks that could and should test. The numbers of those being tested are growing rapidly and that is such a good thing.

DNA is really an amazing discovery of so much and it will only become better over time.

It's Easter tomorrow and for us, the appropriate dining pleasure would be "Green Eggs & Ham".

We do plan to have a spiral cut ham dinner and of course for many dinners after that -- but we do not mind as we love ham.

The eggs, well we love them too -- but only if the green is on the shell . . .

Enjoy Easter Sunday however you celebrate it and that is a bit of our week, see you all "in a few" ! 😄

No comments: