Search This Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2018

The Pollen Tsunami

The weather today here in Healdsburg is absolutely wonderful. Sunny, balmy, warm day. Tomorrow is not supposed to be that and is predicted to be rainy and cold -- that's okay too.

But, growing up I do not recall having allergies -- that no longer applies. Both Gail and I are sneezing, wheezing and have itchy, watery eyes -- what's to blame -- POLLEN.

Every known tree in the area is "blooming" along with flowers and then the grass itself is beautiful and fragrant as ever -- especially when it is being mowed.


These are some of the offenders -- yet some of the most beautiful. We did have a visit to the doctor recently and were told to take Flonase and Zyrtec right now -- Gail does daily and I think it helps somewhat. All I have to do is take the cap off the Flonase and I start getting a major nasal reaction.

We'll "ride" it out hopefully and be able to go about our daily activities. When the temperatures stay in the mid to upper 80s we'll be adding the a/c and that will help as well.

I receive daily updates from almost all of the four companies that I tested my DNA with . . .

To the right is the latest from 23 & Me which depicts my 100% European genetics.

Interestingly enough, the current book we are reading -- "A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived" by Adam Rutherford, says if you have European ancestry then you are definitely related to Charlemagne and that you have "royal" blood as well . . .

So, I'd like more details -- but I won't hold my breath. The timeline sent by 23 & Me makes sense as well -- saying that the Scandinavian portion took place between 1850 and 1910.

I'm not too sure about the British and Irish portion though as we haven't identified who those ancestors are yet . . .

It is exciting to think about what the future with DNA will uncover and share with us. Now is a great time to be DNA tested -- so much happening in that arena.

Recently, I was reviewing some of the thousands of photos from our Guide Dog for the Blind experiences and I came across this one.

It almost makes us want to get one of those puppies -- almost.

We know that Dino -- who turns seven this year, would love (we think) a canine companion.

We'll think about it . . . a basket of fun!


We enjoy watching baseball. Even as the season is just starting and the teams figuring it "all out".

What we find very unpleasant are the several brawls that have broken out on the ball fields.

As baseball mirrors hockey more and more with that perspective -- we will watch less and less.

We are just one couple watching the MLB games each week -- so maybe it wouldn't matter to the league if we cut back.

But it is like the NFL. As more and more undesirable type players exhibit their unique form of (in our view) behavior we watch less and less. We applaud the Seahawks for not signing a certain QB this week due to his annoying display of character.

When the sporting events that we look to for entertainment and escape turn to annoying events and displays -- we'll watch more golf and if they had it -- curling . . . just saying.

From the photo shoe-box:


This is a picture of our family in front of the apartment on East Avenue in La Grange, Illinois.

Probably, Marv, took this photo since he is not in it. I'm puzzled about the date though.

It looks as though this was "developed" in Florida in 1954. This may have been the trip to visit our Aunt Carrie who lived in St Petersburg.

We did also go for Marv's wedding in 1955 that took place in Fort Lauderdale. I need to figure it out . . .

We lived in the above apartment for about one year as we waited for our new home to be built in Hinsdale -- I was in the Seventh Grade that year, Marilee was in High School and Jon, in First or Second grade. Marv was in the latter years of college at the time. I am wearing a "Camp Awana" tee shirt . . .

I think that now that "taxes" are finished for this season, maybe just maybe I'll get the chance to have a day to just immerse myself into genealogy researching -- that would be so nice.

There are so many loose ends to follow up on and explore. I do work on family history every day -- maybe just for a bit -- but usually not for as long as I would like.

I feel lucky that I have this hobby -- it pretty much defines my day in a way. If there is a "webinar" so much the better. Webinars are like what sporting events are to some extent -- that is, it is a time when the rest of the world is shut out for a brief period and a time to just experience something fun.

That is a bit of our week -- see you all "in a few" ! ðŸ‘¨ðŸ‘©



No comments: