Search This Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Cinco de Derby . . . Day

Two major events being commemorated today -- the hundred forty-fourth "running of the roses" at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and the celebration of the ending of Mexico's war with France . . .

The dilemma is -- how to recognize both -- one way is to enjoy some Carne Asada while watching the race later today. Or at least have some guacamole and taco chips -- that would do it as well.


We do not pay a lot of attention to horse racing until the "triple crown" events and then just briefly. We do however record the hours of pre-race and post-race, but usually only tune in to view the actual two very exciting minutes of the race itself.

Today's race is going to be a bit more interesting in that it is supposed to rain all day in Kentucky. I can't imagine standing or even sitting throughout the rain for the two-minute event.

The news is telling us that betting is changing due to the weather -- and the fact that some horses perform better in the "mud" . . . so maybe they'll be some larger-than-usual payoffs due to that.

Our weather here today is -- just the way we like it -- in the mid-70s and not much wind.

And now some miscellaneous doings from this week:


I belong to a few genealogical societies -- but I never can attend the meetings.

This week I learned of a virtual society (thanks to Dick Eastman) and I joined up.

Supposedly I will attend any meetings that they have -- on my own time, when and where I can -- I like that idea.

They are scheduled to hold webinars and other events that will be ready for attendees at their convenience.

We'll see how that works out and what will be the benefits. The founders of the society are well known in the genealogical field, so I look forward to the upcoming calendar.


I have always liked the design of the "buffalo" nickel -- to the left is pictured the "buffalo" $50 gold piece being released in a few days.

To me, it represents an exciting time in the history of our country and thus a period that so many of our relatives lived through.

The settling of the western half of the United States just creates a mystical sense of being and the coin depicts that sense to me.

Probably the photo of this coin will be the closest that I get to it, but it is an enjoyable view.

The next items have to do with random photos found while rambling around the Internet this week:

We have had a "ton" of HILES who have worked for the railroad throughout our history.

I love the picture to the right -- I remember well seeing steam engines like that racing through our town.

This one shows -- Lloyd Raymond Hiles standing with three others in front of the engine.
The caption says Lloyd was a conductor -- I believe he is "on the right".

The interesting fact is that I do NOT know if Lloyd Raymond Hiles is a relative or not. My grandfather Lloyd Hampton Hiles worked for the Chicago Northwestern Railway, so I'll have to try and connect this Lloyd to the family. (He lived in Pennsylvania).

I just happened upon this photo and it does have a couple of HILES relatives.

Seated is Sophia Jane Hiles and she is a 2nd cousin. Standing next to her is her daughter Dora Jane Snyder, 3rd cousin.

These two come from the branch of Christopher Hiles (son of John Sr) and his son -- John C Hiles.

The line started in Pennsylvania with John Sr, then to Ohio for Christopher and John C, and then ultimately to Missouri for Sophia and Dora.



This last picture -- I just thought was an interesting view of probably a family attending some event.

I have NO idea who they are but found it fun to think about what the story is behind the photo.

The surnames associated with these folks are Foster, Harris, and Vansandt.

The picture was taken around the turn of the 19th century.

I will be looking to somehow connect these people to the tree . . . if you happen to recognize anyone let us know . . .



Maybe we should go out to dinner tonight -- that would be a novel idea . . .

Maybe we should try someplace "new".

Or maybe just think about it and have our regular burgers and fries.

We'll see  . . .


That is a bit of our week, see you all "in a few" !  👨👩

No comments: