Search This Blog

Saturday, May 26, 2018

It's Memorable . . . Or Not

It has been a strange week in many ways. The weather for one has been weird. Today it is very nice, yesterday it tried to rain a bit and managed to let some moisture hit the ground around us.

The global political arena continues to be unsettling with on-again, off-again events. I can't remember a more tentative mood  about a lot of things.

And then there was baseball . . . yesterday's Cubs/Giants game was going along nicely until the wheels came off for the Giants in the 7th inning giving the Cubs a huge win.

On the home front, there were several more calls to tech support as I tried to set up the new computer and printer. I thought it had to be "just me" but even the techs were having difficulties -- but for now I have the computer AND the printer working -- I just have not transferred things yet . . .

And so we are enjoying the "Memorial Day" weekend. Since we do not need the a/c on today, the feeling in the air is like back home growing up looking forward to the holiday from school and work.


But the focus still is on those that served our country in the times of war and the incredible sacrifices and losses associated with that.

The above photo -- credit to Gena Philibert-Ortega -- is mind boggling and is representative of many other similar scenes across the country and around the world.

We do offer our thanks and pay tribute to these heroes.


Of course I have referred to this before in previous posts -- but growing up in suburban Chicago, the Indy 500 was always a fun event to look forward to watching -- I never actually attended the race.

The race is actually being run tomorrow, Sunday, and I'm sure that there are several events going on as we write this -- including the traditional parade.

We'll probably watch the recorded version and "speed" through some of the middle. Or we can just have it on while we "multi-task" and pay closer attention as needed.

It is still a fun tradition.


So, what's all the fuss about . . . it is really unfair to ask of people who are already "hard of hearing" -- "What do YOU hear?"

So many times Gail and I will remark as we watch TV -- "I didn't understand a word that was just said".

And now apparently it is like the "pet rock" -- everyone is putting their two-cents in about whether they heard "Yanny" or did they hear "Laurel".

We both heard -- LAUREL -- but like I said, we do have some hearing issues anyway. The consensus of the reports say that "laurel" is the true answer -- I don't know for sure. Does it really matter?


Well, it's baaack -- hurricane season again. It seems like we just had that.

It is being reported that Florida and other states can expect a lot of action from "Alberto" this week.

Alberto is the first of 21 names tied to the 2018 hurricane season -- what happens if there are 22?

It looks like there are 11 boyish names and 10 girlish names -- though some could go either way. I can remember a little hurricane prep in Fort Lauderdale, i.e. the knocking down of coconuts prior to the forecasted winds coming . . .

We will keep our fingers crossed for this hurricane season -- one practical reason is that one of the tech centers that I have called recently is in Fort Meyers, Florida . . .


We are going to try a food service -- just for the heck of it. They advertised a 50% off deal on a few meals and we are going to give it a shot.

I like the idea of a change in our menu and of being offered a variety of things that maybe I would never have thought of to make . . .

Up to this point I have fixed (almost) every meal that we have had over the last few years. The hardest part is thinking about "what to have" next to keep a variety in the menu.

So, next week we will see how "Hello Fresh" is or does. I hope that it is good. I'll let you know.


And lastly, while I have received a lot of notices from the DNA testing companies that they have uncovered new cousins . . .

I have not officially received the notice to the left -- but it is probably true.

We just have not confirmed it as yet -- it could be worse, but I won't go into that now.

And it might just be that we will be notified of our royal connection.


And so that is a bit of our week -- memorable or not -- see you all, "in a few" ! 👨👩









No comments: