Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Nice Week -- But, What-a-Day . . .

It's hard to NOT start a story out with "It's been a quiet week . . ." when that has been permanently etched into memory over the years by "GK".

But it was a "nice" week in terms of weather, sunny, mild mid-70s to low 80s, not a whole lot of wind until last night. There was no rain which meant that I had to water the yard a lot but at least there has been little mention of drought.


Around various spots in the yard are evidence that spring and summer are here with all their splendor. From lemons to roses we have a lot to appreciate.

HOWEVER, I was driven nearly out of my mind yesterday with a seven hour stint on the phone with tech support.

I had planned many activities for the day (yes, even cleaning up some in the garage) but all of that was put aside.

The computer would not function well at all and I got Tech Support involved early morning. The usual problems of communication and coordinating activities to coincide with the support was taxing.

After seven hours I suggested that we needed to stop and continue the next day if possible (today). They were able to get me back up and running -- but they had not finished all that was needed to be done. So today -- I'll maybe call back and hopefully get them to finish.

The one really good thing was that instead of cooking dinner -- we called for take out at the absolutely great new Chinese restaurant in town -- 8 Dragons. They make the very best food! We splurged and had a very nice variety and have enough for tonight as well.

Just announced by the Social Security Administration this week are the most popular names for boys and for girls as of 2017. Since SS cards are now issued at the birth (as opposed to later in life) the names are readily available:

If you look at the list there are so many familiar names of children that we know.

So it is interesting that even some old timer names have made the list for both girls and boys.

I have always felt good about my name (even though it is not on the list) and I have a positive feeling about it.

In doing genealogy I have to wonder sometimes about how some kids felt about their names when you see what parents named them . . .

Now, taking a peek at the most preferred names for boys & girls 100 years ago:


Again, there are so many that are familiar to us because all we have to do is look at the family tree for that period and see those names.

Also there is at least one name -- William -- that made the list in both years.

What will be the names on the 2117 list . . . I can only imagine.

When Gail & I watch baseball or another show where names are announced we often kiddingly say "let's name our little child such 'n such" and shake our heads with disbelief that some parent bestowed a certain name on a poor child.


I continually am receiving lists of new DNA matches from all four of the companies that I tested with.

To the left shows that 23 & Me announced to me that in the last month 26 people related to me have been tested at the company.

I can now look at those folks and try to find out where in the tree that they belong.

And on this report there were even some closer type cousins -- 1st cousins as well.


I'm waiting for more of our family to test -- right now there are "sales" going on for mother's day.


Then, one of my favorite shows is returning soon.

Who Do You Think You Are  will premier on Monday, May 21.

To me it doesn't always matter "who" is featured.
Almost all of the subjects have brought amazing discoveries into view.

It would be nice to be able to have the resources to look at our tree this way as well.


And lastly:


We wish everyone a very happy Mother's Day!


That is a bit of our week, see you all "in a few" ! 👨👩


No comments: