Search This Blog

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Four Roses in Healdsburg + 1940 Census

It has been one of those weeks . . . one of the big events for our household was -- the formal closing of the current tax year -- what that means is approximately 250 plus days before the start of another tax season . . .
Gail is already cruising throughout the house with a vengeance -- it did not help that the lead story of the Sunday Parade was on "hoarding" . . . but the change in daily routines was matched by a huge change in the climate here. Starting right at the first day of freedom for Gail was the heat -- we have had a few 90 + degree days. With that it caused several roses to pop out on the walls of our garage:

We were tempted to "pick" them right away and display them but felt leaving them where they were was a better display -- for now anyway.

I didn't do "nothing" . . .


You may be wondering why there was no post yesterday, Saturday, as has been the custom for several months. But it wasn't for the fact that I wasn't "doing something". In the North Bay -- Northern California, there is very little, almost no genealogical type meetings to attend. But once a year there is a scheduled seminar put on by the Sonoma County Genealogical Society -- and I attended as I did last year as well.

This year they had four nice topics to be presented that I was certainly interested in hearing more about:


Above you can see the agenda and the topics. Connie Lenzen came from her home in Portland, Oregon and spoke on each topic. She was very well equipped to deliver the messages and the crowd enjoyed her relaxed but informative delivery. I definitely learned a lot and I am anxious to follow up on some of the many ideas that were presented. I wish there were other conferences within driving distance to take advantage of.

It also was the first day of the 140 some days that we have had Dino that we spent a big part of the day apart -- but he did have fun helping Gail "clean house" or the "pool house" anyway.


Speaking of Dino -- a glimpse into his week


Dino just keeps progressing physically and mentally so much so that he looks just like an adult dog and does not get as many "oohs and aahs" when we are out and about except from the folks that knew him "when", well as a small puppy . . . he still is under 7 months old but has changed so much.

This week we had GDB training and Dino now is one of the senior pups in his puppy group. There too he has taken the back seat to a lot of younger pups including one that just joined the group this week -- Ian a black lab pup just 10 weeks old -- really a show-stopper. Ian like most newly introduced puppies barked the first time he joined the group -- then usually no dog barks beyond that first week.

So, while I write this Dino is very patient yet he tries in mostly subtle ways to get me to join in for some fun. Today -- unlike the last two days -- we have the a/c on and he probably doesn't realize why he is not panting and collapsing on the floor as much.


Above you can see one of Dino's favorite pastimes -- chewing and then chewing two things and then relaxing and then back to chewing -- always his things though. Sometimes he brings the toy wanting me or Gail to hold it for him while he chews -- but as you can see he knows how to hold things for himself.

The Excitement of the 1940 Census

This week for most of the days I have done "indexing" of Census pages for FamilySearch. I now have nearly 2000 names that I have indexed and I have done some in about 30 states. I will try to index in as many states as I can. It is surprising I can "sense" differences in many states, especially in Alaska and Hawaii which were not states in 1940.

Then about Thursday after I had had my fill of trying to decipher poor handwriting and make sure to get names indexed properly -- I decided to take a chance and look for some of my relatives in the 1940 census. Not really expecting any luck in that I first thought I'd try my maternal Grandparents in Chicago. I chose them because I knew the address of where they would be found. Going into Ancestry's data base where they have now gotten every image scanned (not indexed yet) I put in the cross streets that were near where my Grandparents lived. Up came an Enumeration District of 42 pages for their neighborhood. Each page has approximately 40 names on it AND on the 19th page of 41 I hit pay dirt -- there in front of my blurry eyes were my Grandparents -- and others.


Above is a screen shot of that page in the census -- it is where they lived -- 2521 N Bernard St and it shows my Grandfather -- Dayton Bumgardner, his wife Hildred , my Grandmother (we called her Mamie) and my Aunt Jean and my Uncle Stewart. But -- surprisingly I found my Mother and my Brother and my Sister living there as well -- who was not there was my Father -- so, follow up is needed . . .

I was very excited about my success so I went looking for Gail's relatives. I was not so lucky to find them right away -- but I found more of them than in my line:


Looking at the above you can see her paternal & maternal Grandparents -- one set in Kent, Washington and the other in Bremerton, Washington. What is missing on Gail's side are her parents who were newly married in 1939 -- so follow-up is needed here as well.

But it is all fun to get to the search. Actually not having an index is kind of like my first days of genealogy searching (some 30 years ago) of the "jack-pot" type experience of hitting the big time after a lot of "pulls" or searching through microfilm or microfiche line by line . . .

A Brief Break and a Walk to the Healdsburg Plaza


After getting home from the seminar yesterday just to come down to earth we decided to walk to the plaza. Even though it was the hottest day so far this year it was pleasant to just walk -- slowly -- the 11 or 12 blocks. Once there a local band was finishing up a "set" in the park -- which was "okay" with us. We just sat and watched the tourists and others milling around the square. After watering Dino we headed back.

Some of the experience of the walk -- a bench, some water & actually some frozen yogurt, some artwork and speaking of 1940 -- a beautiful Chrysler that was probably somewhere in 1940 . . .

From My Cousin Vinnie Bruce


One of the very nice things of doing family research is meeting and communicating with newly found cousins. Bruce is one of those found a few years ago. And we send things back and forth from time to time. And I have that same relationship with several other "found" cousins.


Bruce knows that I like photography so he sent along a series of photos he found on the web that are really very interesting and they happen to all have a 1940 flavor but the reason he found them was because he was looking for photos that used a larger format (a 4x5) and used Kodachrome -- he found several and they are crisp and clear. You can go to either of the above locations and see them all but I thought it would be fun to expand on one of them -- a picture of a young man and his wife and a baby taken in -- guess what year -- 1940. The photo gave the name of the man -- so just for fun and with my recent success in the 1940 census I thought I'd see if I could find them . . . the name of the place intrigued me "Pie Town, New Mexico".


I looked and looked and after going through a lot of Enumeration Districts -- none of which mentioned "Pie Town" I was about to give up when I found them. Earlier I had also found an additional photo that included the whole family. Above you can see the census page and can put names to the members of the family. From the photo I get a "sense" of that family  . . . in 1940. It would be interesting to see the "sense" today.


Lastly -- the Birthdays from the Tree


Because I wasn't here yesterday I'm including the folks from our tree that celebrate birthdays for both today and yesterday -- and if interested check out the folks on the website if you don't know how they are related.


And so ends another week -- we are going to have BLTs tonight AND we did have burgers last night.

We hope your week has been as good -- see you in a few -- actually probably fewer than last week . . .

No comments: