Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2016

RIO -- Really . . . Golden

Like many other folks we are enjoying the Olympics. We have set the DVR to record most of the four-hour segments that appear on NBC. The opening ceremonies were fun to watch especially seeing the entries from the 200 or so countries. We find it inspiring to see the excitement of the athletes.
We were pleasantly surprised to see that the other alphabet was used to alphabetize the entrants putting the USA up close to the front -- in the "E's" so that we did not have to go all the way to the "U's" to witness  TeamUSA enter the stadium.


Rio de Janeiro looked spectacular, probably like how Pasadena always looks so great on New Year's  every year. We just took in the beauty and enjoyed the moment.

We enjoyed the 6 hour biking event and watched it more towards the finish line with interest. I can not imagine the torture of being on a bike for that long over those types of roads (some cobblestone).
The men race for almost 150 miles -- the women's race is a bit less miles but still grueling.

Of course we are interested in the swimming events and not just Michael Phelps -- one of the others that we are interested in watching is Chase Kalicz. Chase led the prelims on the first day. It is amazing that he is even competing given that he suffered a major attack of Guillain-Barre several years back  (as I did) and he had to learn how to walk again among other things. So we root for him and others from TeamUSA. So many stories of overcoming obstacles.

I did manage to do research, but mostly everyday variety such as adding to families from a variety of branches. I will share a couple more of colorized photos:


This is a favorite look at a "favorite" Uncle, Uncle Stew. This was taken in the front yard of the family home -- one we visited all the time -- in Chicago.

At first glance, I though it was a pony and cart, but the horns give it away, it is a goat. The color adds so much to to the perspective.

The second photo is actually of Stewart's mother, our Grandmother, Mamie, in one of my all time favorites "the Hat" . . . my sister and I are welcoming her to our house in La Grange.


Mamie often visited our home and always brought her "gimme" bag that can be seen resting on the steps. She would take the bus out to visit us which we always looked forward to.

In those days we never thought much about "the hat" as we just accepted that that was what some folks did -- and Mamie did for sure. I can't imagine today seeing someone wear a hat like that, and she wore it at such a rakish way. I can't help smiling when I see it.

On the nightstand . . .

Well, we are just about finished with Drew Barrymore's book and we have been pleasantly surprised at how accomplished she has become. She definitely has not let being a child star ruin her life. She appears to be successful in business and family.

But we multi-task as it pertains to reading:


If we take a nap during the day (frequently) we start the nap by reading "Legends & Lies The Patriots".

It is a history book and who doesn't love history. Well, we do and I think back to high school days and it would have been nice to have this type of history book to learn from.

It is actually a companion book to a TV series of the same name on Fox.

I believe that tonight is the final episode but having the two has been very interesting and I have learned a lot about the early days of our country and those who participated in making it all happen.




And then too, in the early morning I often let my "Audible" app on the iPad read to me.

And right now I am listening to "Killing Reagan" as seen to the left.

I almost was reluctant to get the book due to its title but I heard so many good reports about the book that I actually went ahead and ordered it from Audible and it was sent right to my iPad -- I love it.

I am only on the third chapter but I have learned a ton about Reagan that I had never known before and it is fascinating.

There is a series of "Killing" books and I look forward to listening to them as well.



So, between the Olympics, upcoming pre-season NFL football and current MLB baseball, we hardly can squeeze in any political "stuff" and that is a good thing.

It is sad to see at what a low level our political campaigning has gotten to . . .

Was it this horrible in the time of our grandparents and great grandparents. It may have been but just not so easily tapped into.

Our DVR is filled to capacity now with sporting events and that is a good thing.

Off to the right are some of the first medal winnings in Rio. We look forward to seeing the remaining events that spark our interest.

Lastly, how true it is . . .



To make certain that one is prepared, get busy and locate the perfect "home" yourself and avoid the sentiment expressed above . . .

That is a bit of our week, it is Sunday night and it will be PIZZA -- yeah!  See you all "in a few"!


No comments: