Search This Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Weather Kerfuffle

Okay, so one day it is nice and we have the windows and doors open, the next day it is rainy and cold and we close up tight. Following that we had a hot day, everything closed up again along with the a/c on. Next it was cool and rainy again and we had the heat on . . . today kind of bland with a plain sky though it misted earlier in the morning.


So what's next . . . at least we can't say that the weather has been boring lately.

I attended another webinar. This one, this morning and it was excellent. I had to get up and be ready to attend "class" at 8 am -- just like the old days, so-to-speak.


The hot topic these days in genealogy is "DNA" and so that was what the webinar was about and it was entitled "Additional DNA Tools and Concepts Boot Camp" from the DNA Boot Camp series.



The webinar was hosted by Thomas MacEntee and presented by Mary Eberle. Together they made the webinar interesting and educational.

I find this subject of DNA to be very complex and with each class or webinar things become more understandable and usable.

Above, Family Tree DNA charts show us genetic "Adam" and "Eve" with the origins for both deep in Africa thousands of years ago.

Today's webinar demonstrated the use of several tools to use to analyze more current genetic finds or matches of our own.

In the midst of my searching I turn up names and faces a lot of whom I can not identify. And that file gets bigger and bigger.

I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to use DNA matching to the point that I might even be able to identify some of the interesting photos that I gather for folks in our tree.




Above are some very interesting groups of people, but I do not know who they are and for what event they are posing for a picture. Maybe one of you know, if so, please let me know, thanks.

I particularly like the early version of the "RV". I can only imagine what that was like i.e. having seven people cruising around together.

The middle pic shows 3 folks admiring a young bear and where are the parents or at least the mom.

The last pic shows a family of ten enjoying maybe a holiday and gathered out back . . .



Besides the searching around, I did attend a Legacy Family Tree Webinar on land records.

Mary Hill was the presenter and she always is very informative and this time was also.

Using things like "metes & bounds" and other ways of describing property she shows us how we can use that information to increase our tree size with legitimate resources.

Every one of these webinars is like getting "free" advice that will only help each of us to be better at what we do.

In the bottom right of the chart shows us the upcoming webinars that are free to watch in the live version, usually on Wednesdays, sometimes Fridays.


Coming up on "Who Do You Think You Are?" this next week looks to be very interesting.

Usually the show is on Sunday night but this appears to be on Monday night the 24th at 8 pm on TLC.

I have to be honest, I did not connect Liv Tyler to Steven Tyler . . . and for me this makes it all that much more fascinating.

When I've seen Steve Tyler performing (which has not been THAT often) I almost couldn't connect him to any family type activities . . .

So, we'll be watching this episode with maybe a bit more interest.


And lastly, since we are talking about -- what else -- DNA:


And that may not be far from the truth . . .

That is a bit of our week. See you all "in a few"!


No comments: