Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tomatoes of Healdsburg, Farmers,Sonoma

I had different kinds of time on my hands this week . . . even though I could use my computer during restoration it wasn't the same. I couldn't access a lot of the files that I had been saving and using for the last several years. But the good news is that I now have recovered about 85 -- 90% of the files that I had two weeks ago -- I believe that I have lost the difference . . . Carbonite finished restoring all the files that they could on Thursday . . . so how did I use my "extra" time? Creating more photo files . . .


I can't tell you how many shots this took or how long I stood poised waiting for the hummingbirds to appear or how many times my camera wasn't ready when they were . . . it seems like "they knew" when I was trying to get a pic -- they would appear I would grab my camera and before I could squeeze off the trigger, they were gone. Of course I would hold the pose for awhile and they would too -- only not in front of the lens.

But as you can see and I knew it was only a matter of time. I got a few good snaps. They do drink a lot.

Tomatoes of Healdsburg (our garden)

We are beginning to reap the rewards of Gail's hard work in the garden. Tons of cherry tomatoes and a
large quantity of full size ones. We can really tell the difference between ours and the store-bought variety. But what do you do with the sudden crop, if they would ripen at a reasonable rate we could just consume them on a steady basis -- but they come in large quantities all at once . . .



So more work for Gail as she prepares a large pot-full for sauce -- Dino just watches quietly . . . there's nothing much in it for him. This pot turned into some pretty good pasta sauce which we have already partially consumed over whole-wheat pasta, the rest we have frozen for use later in the year. But I just peeked outside and there is a whole new crop ready to harvest.

Dino's Event by the Farmers in Sonoma

For GDB training this week we drove a little close to an hour (and then another 15-20 minutes looking for parking) to the town of Sonoma to attend their Farmer's Market. There were thousands already there when we got to town. We finally met up with our group and went through some training exercises and then mingled among the crowds of folks enjoying the town plaza, music, dining/wining and everything
that folks do on a hot summer evening . . . it was really enjoyable and Dino loved it as always.


The above does not show the huge crowds that were there -- but they were all around us -- our training exercises were on the perimeter of the plaza and across the street until we took all of the puppies throughout the grounds and by the stands and crowds. I was able to be in some of the photos because someone volunteered to take over camera duties for a bit . . . which was fun.

What Else Fills Time

Every night for the past couple of weeks we have been reading -- aloud -- the biography written about Steve Jobs. So much is really interesting to me especially because for a lot of the early Apple years I was in sort of a comparable industry at work -- our company at the time wanted to be the next "IBM". . . which didn't exactly happen . . .

Whatever my concept was of Steve Jobs at the time is certainly both explained and shockingly different from what I imagined. The stories revealed about SJ are amazing and illustrate just how drastically different he was from "many of us". But -- he really produced some great products, some that we in this house use and love and swear we could not stand to be without . . .
Walter Isaacson has written a most interesting description of Steve and his life and times in Apple and Pixar and NExt and Reed College and other ventures. It is one of the most fascinating stories that we have read in a long time. 

Just this week, the house that Steve Jobs lived in was broken into and many personal items belonging to him were stolen and found their way into various hands -- that should not have happened.

I really hope that the momentum of Apple and the introduction of more successful products can continue with others leading the way -- time will tell.

Burger Saturday Night

The week did "go fast" and we found ourselves in the middle of Saturday with our usual dinner menu already planned of course -- but we did have a guest over last night. Because Nancy went off to Portland for a week to help out with Grand kids and all, Marv came over to enjoy our traditional fare. He is of course used to the menu because both he and I experienced "burger Saturday night" growing up.

Above you can see our quiet evening which included having the 49er game on in the background and the simple menu of burgers, sweet-potato fries and slaw. For dessert fresh peaches/strawberries over vanilla ice cream -- a non dieting event . . . but we had nice conversation and Marv brought some gifts of family things from his "vault":


It is sort of a family mystery photo -- a young girl standing, wearing warm clothing in between long rows of what looks like evergreen trees. On the back, written in my Mother's unmistakable handwriting are the words: Part of the Garden in Reid or Reed Military Reservation. She dates it 4/15/1922. On closer examination it could be 1932.

If it is indeed 1922 then it could be our Mother, who would have been 10 years old at that time. If it is 1932 then we are back at guessing again. We hope that we can solve the mystery . . .

Hopefully next week I'll get back to more family history sleuthing. I did do some work both in Fold3 and in FamilyTreeWiki -- both sites can be seen in the column to the right in this blog . . .

August Nineteenth . . .

It has been one year today that we last saw Auggie. We are reminded of him everyday and we so often catch ourselves calling "Dino", "Auggie" . . . it seems like yesterday


We hope that he is as comfortable as he was in this pose.

And Then, Finally

In Dick Eastman's blog this week he wrote about something that just "blew me away"  by the sheer numbers exposed. It just made me stop and think about the magnitude of events and the impact that social media makes in our lives -- whether we are active participants with social media or not.

So I followed up on the subject and found a lot to read -- and think about -- regarding the following:


In the top middle of the collage is the "number" that just made me stop and reflect a bit. The number seems so staggering to comprehend to me for some reason -- who would think that on average about 8000 Facebook members die every day -- unbelievable to me. 

I think that the app described above is something that makes sense, a good way to remember. If you want to check it out:  EverTalk


And so that was part of our week. Hope your week goes well, see you in a few!
























No comments: