Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Grads -- Circumstances & Pomp

"Our town" had another high school graduation a couple of nights ago. We are fortunate to be the beneficiaries of some of the pomp but not a great deal of the circumstances. The pomp comes in the form of the sounds carried over the speaker system that we can hear quite loudly for the duration of the ceremony.


We actually have attended two of the Healdsburg High graduation ceremonies in the last several years. This year, judging from the sounds,was most likely similar to those two ceremonies.

I can only imagine the feeling of exhilaration as the caps are tossed.

I must admit -- I have graduated from several different schools and never once did I throw the cap . . .

The main reason is that I chose to not attend the ceremonies.

I graduated from Elementary School, Junior High, Senior High, Junior College and Senior College  -- no ceremonial memories . . .


I did get the diplomas though and I'm sure that
I could find them -- maybe.

I have never been asked to produce a copy of any diploma which in a way surprises me,

My college diploma was signed by Ronald Reagan (personally I'm sure) as he was Governor
of California at the time I graduated.


Now the issue of producing the certificate brings me to part of this week's activities.


The fact that I never was asked to produce any diploma is similar in nature to the fact that I have never been asked to produce a marriage certificate -- until this week -- can you imagine.

How many times have you been asked to see your diploma or your marriage certificate.

Well this week, I received a letter from the folks who provide "some" of my medical benefits and some benefits are extended to other family members as well.


After regaining composure, I thought how hard could that be . . . I'm sure that I have that marriage certificate in one of my genealogical computer files -- but just which one.  I remember once years ago viewing our marriage certificate but then it was filed somewhere and out of mind.

All our important documents would be in the safe deposit box, so a trip to the bank was in order. After opening the box, sure enough we found a large postal type envelope which on the outside listed the contents and much to our glee, "marriage certificate" was one of the items listed.

The unhappy news was that there was NO marriage certificate in the envelope . . . and we came to the conclusion that we needed to reevaluate the contents of the box -- it is on our "list".

Fortunately for us, in the back of my mind I guessed that in the crack physical filing system that I maintained at home, I would find the certificate. And I did! How fortunate I felt that I would not have to order a replacement copy from the county of record.

I'm still shaking my head though to have to produce this document after all these years . . .

In the morning usually as I sit in the family room working on my iPad (on genealogy of course) I often listen to a genealogy podcast as well.

To the right are four of the shows that I enjoy the most. Each podcast usually is about 45 minutes to an hour and it plays in the background as I work on Ancestry.com.

Sometimes, though I have to pause the podcast so that I can concentrate better on the search at hand.
I have learned a lot from these podcasts and each one has its own features and benefits. This last week I heard a speaker on "The Genealogy Professional" that I knew mostly from her blog -- "Clue Wagon" by Kerry Scott.

Kerry has written a new book -- that I have purchased and am reading -- "How to Use Evernote for Genealogy". Since I enjoyed her blog, I felt that I would enjoy her book as well and I do.


I actually started using Evernote many years ago but somehow set it aside for the last few years -- until -- I listened to Kerry's talk and now reading her book.

I am revisiting the usefulness of Evernote and with the help of Kerry's book, beginning to bring it back to everyday usefulness in genealogy AND everyday living as well.

Thank you Kerry and Evernote. I am hoping to be more disciplined about maintaining daily usage -- so far so good.

Sad to admit, but I have to say that I am guilty of this.

I don't get that many opportunities any more to talk with "outside" folks in person, but when I do I am aware that I do work towards "genalogifying" the conversation.

And why not, because usually it is a positive though sometimes it apparently is not. I usually get a sense of whether to genealogify of not to . . . but I love it!


So, that is a bit of our week. It is Sunday, probably taco salad for dinner after playing some Quiddler and while watching the Giants/Dodgers game.

See you all "in a few"!


No comments: