Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Evening Sky from the deck a few days ago. . .


The last several days have provided us with a variety of beautiful views of the western skies. Both evening and morning skies have been exceptional.
The old saying "red sky at night . . ." has been pretty much holding true.

But -- I have a genealogy question -- who are the Loterbaughs and what are they doing in my tree . . .
Just this week I came across this family nestled among the branches of our tree. It seems that the first appearance of this surname in our tree came about with the marriage of Ida Mae Hiles to George W Loterbaugh and from that union came numerous other Loterbaughs . . . so who is Ida Mae Hiles. Ida Mae is a "half" first cousin. My 3rd Great Grandfather, John Hiles Jr was married twice, I descend from his first marriage and Ida descends from the second marriage. And thus it is if we HILES should actually meet a LOTERBAUGH it is very likely that we are cousins . . .

Ahh, the Internet . . . earlier this week I received a telephone call from a friend and co-worker that I had not spoken to for over thirty years. The friend had found my name and information on a site somewhere "on the net" and decided to check to see if I was the right person and of course it turns out that I was. We spent over an hour catching up on our lives since last speaking to one another back in the 70s -- surprisingly many of our experiences paralleled.

So -- now I return to the "search" among the branches. Each day finds me in a variety of tree limbs. Sometimes those limbs are so obscured that I set them aside so that at a later time I can determine their connection. Frequently, I get caught up in being the "hunter and gatherer" so much that I accumulate tons of material. That is the case now -- I have over four thousand pieces of material to examine and that is so far my "New Year's" resolution, i.e. to evaluate what I have already hunted and gathered, makes sense. I might though sneak a few new "hunts" into the routine based on the "alerts" that Google sends me almost daily . . .

Enjoy the week!

No comments: